Welcome to my blog and thanks for reading. I post as often as I can listing upcoming events, interesting projects I am working on and some tips or two on using my favourite material - clay! If there is something you would like me to blog about, please send me a note. Please visit my website for more images of my work and an updated listing of events and happenings - http://www.taralynnefranco.com/


Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mission Accomplished!

Yes .... my Hands on History "tile", which still needs a title, is finally complete and delivered as of 10:30am this morning. What a thrill to be finished this commission that has consumed my mind, my creativity and my time for what seems like a very long time. It was definitely a worthwhile venture as it had me stretch my creative and technical muscles. I had a bit of performance anxiety getting started ... but once I started the assembling process I was able to get on a roll. It did however take many, many hours to glaze the pieces as this was new territory for me with so many different shapes and elements to work with - some with image transfer, some with decals, and then tons of different textured pieces in various sizes and shapes in both porcelain and white earthenware. I don't want to give away what the final piece looks like (there is a one day opening on November 4th at the Gardiner Museum of Ceramics in Toronto which all are invited to), but here is one last process photo of the frames with the grey underglaze. I didn't end up using the pieces I had put underglaze colour on, so despite thinking I had way too many pieces to work with, I didn't have THAT many. I am very pleased with the result despite some technical problems with the firing of the pieces that required some creative repair work, that in the end, improved the pieces .... necessity IS the mother of invention I guess. Now I am back to work getting ready for my busy fall season. Now that this is done, what should I write about????? Suggestions???

No comments: